Monday, September 12, 2016

Friends and more cornfields...

I spent the day Saturday with old friends Chris and Monika in Iowa City.  The U of I and Iowa State football rivalry was alive and well as it seemed everyone in the city had on their teams colors!  Excitement was in the air!  The following morning Chris rode with me north for 30 miles towards the days destination of Guttenburg IA.  It was great to ride together again!  Another benefit of my days layover was the wind direction shifting from strong headwind to mild tailwind.  Whenever that happens you just smile and keep riding!  I stopped in Dyersville and met Janet and Tim and Mary Fitzgerald (sisters of my friend Ginny).  They fed and watered me and sent me on the road with about 15 Giant Chocolate Chip cookies!  That is just pretty awesome at mile 550 of a bike journey!  Did I mention the cookies were homemade? I wish I could have stayed longer as we were have great conversation!  Thank you Janet and Mary!  A few more hours of riding and a missed turn (most cornfields look the same), found me in Guttenburg for the night.  A neat little town on the river.  On this journey north I have ridden from summer into early fall; its been amazing watching the gradual change in the countryside!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it, love you