Friday, September 9, 2016

Rain...and then an oasis

I awoke yesterday to pouring rain in my hometown of Hannibal, MO.  I thought it wise to wait and see if it let up.  The rain provided an opportunity for a big breakfast of eggs, hash browns, biscuits and Midwestern Gravy!  Volumes have been written about the gravy.  The rain did let up and then got heavy again after about an hour on the road.  A through soaking ensued...and you know what...after you are wet ya might as well keep riding...as nothing is going to change the situation.  Somehow I managed to get ahead of the storm clouds as I cycled north...while getting the benefit of a tailwind!  There is always a silver lining!  I didn't really stop for several hours until running low on water in Hamilton, IL.  From there I rode north to Burlington, IA.  The Mississippi river is beautiful (and big) here.  I found a great oasis in Lomax, IL.  Jenni's Ice Cream and Grill.  Highly recommended!  I shared my blog info with the owner Jenni whose close family member has successfully fought a battle with cancer.  I wish you and your family all the best Jenni!  The road north continues today towards Iowa City!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see you are making great mileage and enjoy riding through the territory. How lucky to see those sights that anyone driving through might miss. You are making great progress as well as spreading the wordvto help other deal, watch out for, and share their cancer battles. 11 years after God called Susan home they have made great progress with stem cell research. Thank you for this yet another ride to help people NOT iss the signs we did. Stay safe and I love yo.