Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Day 2 - More wind, a mechanical issue, and arrival in Iowa!

Goooood morning! I had a great, restful night at the Pioneer Campground in Kellogg.

I broke camp around 8:30a and rode about 30 miles - with the wind against me - to Winona. At the Country Kitchen, I had the "Country's Best Skillet Breakfast" and that's no hyperbole. It hit the spot.

Here's my SPOT beacon as of 8:30a when I was riding to Winona:

Latitude:44.3306
Longitude:-91.9658
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=44.3306,-91.9658&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

I finished breakfast around 11a and got back on the Surly. Here's my location at 11:30 a.m.

Latitude:44.0408
Longitude:-91.6595

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=44.0408,-91.6595&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

By 1:45 p.m. I'd ridden to Dakota, Minnesota near I-90. I was out of water, but the postmistress at the local post office was kind enough to fill my bottles.

Here's my location as of 1:50 p.m. today:

Latitude:43.9115
Longitude:-91.362
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=43.9115,-91.362&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

By 4p.m. I had crossed over into Wisconsin at LaCrescent and was rolling southward.

Latitude:43.7979
Longitude:-91.2507
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=43.7979,-91.2507&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Then, mechanical problems. I was standing on the pedals on a steep climb and popped a rear spoke. Thankfully, I was only about 12 miles from LaCrosse, Wisconsin. I quickly found Smith's Cycling & Fitness and they took care of me.

After a snack, I resumed riding to stay on schedule, and reached Lansing, Iowa where I'm spending the night at the Red Barn Campgrounds. Here's the SPOT satellite signal:

Latitude:43.3609
Longitude:-91.254
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=43.3609,-91.254&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

So, despite the two days of headwinds, I am on schedule!

Tonight, I'll be preparing for my interview with KSFI-FM tomorrow afternoon. This Christian station serves southeastern Minnesota and SW Wisconsin.

Brad

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Brad,

Hope the breakfast was wonderful! Wishing you good weather and the wind at your back. God Bless you and your continued mission to bring awarness to a horrible disease. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Much love,
Susie

Vicki said...

Hey there, thanks for the test..it made my day. I'll try to send another tomorrow to boost you on. Hope the next resting stop has a great "food court".....Heck with the bed and shower!!!!! LOL.....I'm here to say I'm here!!!! Hope today has been as great as yesterday.....Be oh so careful...Love you.

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Vicki said...

From Mother GeGe.....She sends her love and warm wishes and prayers for a safe and productive ride..

Mike said...

never underestimate the power of a great breakfast - especially at a classic "diner" (the "chat and chew" maybe) - a place where you can find the nicest people on the planet... Have a safe and great ride!

Mike N.

CycleQuest North said...

Great recovery after a trying day of wind and mechanical breakdown.

Go, go, go!

John W.

Denise said...

Lesa, Marcella & Mother (who had a tooth pulled today) all send their prayers...as well as myself!! I thought of you...riding...as I drove...doing Home Health today! Glad the grubs were good!!! Just think..."BRADLEY WINGATE, BRADLEY WINGATE, your Mother will be at the end with your LUNCH!!!"

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Iowa! You will have some more beautiful scenery for tomorrow. Eat and rest well and the miles will roll by and the problems will be manageable. Lots of people are pulling for you. See you soon.

Chris

Vicki said...

You have a "strong" head for you pushed yourself into Iowa......Great going. It's "shine" day for you and we all are there for you. The power is with you....The power of God and many prayers and wishes...Take care my brother......I love you.

Deb said...

Hey Brad - If this get's through, it will be a miracle. I think I am Blog challenged, as I have been trying to communicate with you for a couple of days now, but my address seems to disconnect. Hope this one makes it. Jay, John, Woody and I are thinking avout you. Sounds like a great trip so far. Can't wait to hear stories and thinking about you and Susan. Much love, Deb

Unknown said...

Great recovery after a trying day of wind and mechanical breakdown.
___________________
samanth
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems