Thursday, May 21, 2009

Day 4 Iowa, Friends, and Beautiful Weather

Hello from Iowa!

Cooler weather today after a front passed overnight. A nice reprieve from the heat, but the wind is still gusty.

Yesterday was a hard day with the high winds. Today will be better hopefully.

I departed early from Guttenberg, Iowa. I had a great stay at the Guttenberg Motel, and a fine meal last night at one of the local watering holes.

Here's my SPOT satellite beacon location at departure:

Latitude:42.7727
Longitude:-91.1006
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=42.7727,-91.1006&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

By 8:30 a.m. I'd made Luxemborg which is north of Dyersville. There's a lot of road construction in this area, but I'm rolling on good roads now.

At 10 a.m. I rolled into Dyersville for breakfast with Janet Fitzgerald, the sister of Ginny Lewis (Bob's wife) back in Arizona. Thanks Janet! If you've followed CycleQuest in the past you've read all about Bob and Ginny.

I think Bob and I have been responsible for a number of Pizza Huts going out of business after we visited them on past CycleQuest rides!

Bob and I can really put away the pizza when we're riding.

By noon I was well South of Dyersville and heading for Cascade.

Latitude:42.3239
Longitude:-91.0677
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=42.3239,-91.0677&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

My friend Chris Martin, who lives in Iowa City, rode north to join me today. We joined up at Olin, Iowa about 3:15 p.m., and its significantly easier riding with another cyclist to draft.

We rode the 30-35 miles to Iowa city together. Chris knew all the back roads in these parts so we made good time. We arrived about 7 p.m. Dinner in Iowa City!

I'm staying at the Martin family's "nonsmoking" home (inside joke) tonight.

Here's the SPOT satellite ping on our location:

Latitude:41.7112
Longitude:-91.5421
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=41.7112,-91.5421&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Thanks so much for all the comments being posted on the blog. They really help to motivate me. It's great knowing there is this community surrounding me and the cause. Let's build on that for the future. You in? Good!

Tomorrow, it will be on to Burlington where I'll likely overnight Friday.

The Stillwater (MN) Gazette will be running a photo/story on my departure from there last Monday. A special thanks to Kris Janisch, the managing editor!

Beverly Darr, a reporter for the Hannibal Courier-Post is planning a story this weekend. CycleQuest North is in touch with media along the way. We're hoping KCRG-TV in Cedar Rapids and the Iowa City paper will have an interest.

You can listen live for the news story about CycleQuest on Christian station KSFI-FM all day. Just visit KFSI.ORG and click on Listen Live.

It was a great day of riding, and I'm grateful Chris could join me. Please share the blog with coworkers, friends, and family.

Brad

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it cooled off and the winds died down! I hope you have a great day!

Lynae

Brad Wingate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John W. said...

Why, Hannibal's almost within sight!

Hope you have a nicer riding day!

JW

Vicki said...

Hi there Buddy.......here right on schedule today..Wishing you more of the same great ride today. By now you've met up with another friendly face and are sharing in your previous sightings and you both can support each other. Thanks again.......Thanks for such a cool following and of course just for you........I will be expecting to see pics of a big Hannibal cake!!!!

Bob Scott said...

Brad,

Best wishes on your tour. I am very familiar with the headwinds you are dealing encountering. It has been windy (and wet)this entire Spring.I have both bicycled and canoed the area you are covering. Many years ago I hit 55 mph coming down the hill into Guttenberg on a loaded touring bike! Not as much fun crawling up the hill on the other side.

I'm sorry I won't be in Hannibal on Saturday to greet you on your arrival. We have plans in St. Louis. This is a great thing you are doing by honoring Susan's memory via educating us all on ovarian cancer.

Bob Scott

Anonymous said...

Sorry the day yesterday was not to good......but, glad today was better for you.....Hope you have a wonderful dinner and a great day tomorrow......Keep up the wonderful work.......we love you!

Susie and Aunt Bettie

Vicki said...

Wow the interview via radio station is great. You sounded great and very upbeat..Way to go!!!! You're almost home.....Be careful.

Love you

Tom said...

Brad,
I have followed you day by day. I feel you are opening a lot of eyes to the silent killer. I pray the weather holds out for you, and that your journey to Hannibal is safe and without a hitch. I know a lot of people are following you as well. God bless you Brad keep up the great work.

Tom Lewallen

Unknown said...

I just checked your Facebook wall and found out you were on the on Quest #2(I think).

Hope the weather is even better for you tomorrow.

If you read this before you leave Chris' house, tell him I said hi.

Go Brad!!


Dwight

fwolfe2 said...

Hi Brad,
I've been following your progress via your blogs and it sounds like another great adventure for you. From reading some of the comments, I feel you are doing a great deal to raise awareness of ovarian cancer. I took the liberty of sending the link to your CycleQuest page to several friends and family of mine, including some in the Seattle area REI community. We're all with you in spirit throughout this!

Keep up the good work and stay safe out there. I look forward to seeing you when you get back in town.
Fred

Vicki said...

Good Morning!!!!! You're almost at your goal........Congrats...It's "all downhill" from here..hehe...... Be safe today.....Each time it's getting bigger.......Can't wait...Love you and have a great speedy and safe day....

Anonymous said...

Just had to check up on where you were, and how the quest was doing. Sounds like a win! Have a great ride today! Hannibal area is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Glad you'll have company for the rest of the trip!

Lynae

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work and stay safe out there. I look forward to seeing you when you get back in town.
___________________
samanth
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems