Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Day 3 All Iowa, All Day Long

Good morning,

A great overnight camp at the Red Barn Campgrounds in Lansing, Iowa.

Some light rain to the west, but I think I'll miss it as I roll south.

I enjoyed a big breakfast: bacon, egg and cheese bisquit, two Pop-Tarts, coffee, and 20 oz. of chocolate milk.

Here's SPOT satellite to show where I'm departing from this morning:

Latitude:43.3621
Longitude:-91.2253
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=43.3621,-91.2253&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

It's really hilly and the headwind is once again my companion.

At noon I was just north of the Effigy Mounds National Monument.

Latitude:43.1174
Longitude:-91.2004
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=43.1174,-91.2004&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

Had a good lunch of spaghetti and cake, washed down with an icy Coke. Ahhhhhhhh!

At 3p.m. I was here:

Latitude:42.8884
Longitude:-91.1562
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=42.8884,-91.1562&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

I'll be riding near the Mississippi for awhile, and away from these bluffs. I hope that cuts the winds a bit.

By late afternoon I had traveled to Guttenberg, Iowa. On the way, I met a fellow cyclist who has ridden this route clear down to Louisiana. Pretty cool.

Guttenberg is in Clayton County, Iowa, and has a population of about 2,000.

Prairie La Porte, meaning "the door to the prairie," was the first name given to Guttenberg by French explorers in 1673. The Guttenberg area was a site of Sac and Fox campgrounds until 1823. The Louisiana Purchase of 1803 transferred ownership to the United States and the Black Hawk Purchase of 1833 finally opened the area for legal settlement.

Thus ends our history lesson for the day. :-)

The wind is incredible this afternoon. Sometimes I'm standing on the pedals being buffeted by the up to 40 mile an hour gusts. I talked to John in Minneapolis and they were having similar high winds. I probably only did 60-70 miles, but it feels like 100.

My destination was going to be Dyersville, Iowa, but I've gotten a motel room in Guttenberg. The Guttenberg Motel is a great inn, and the proprietor Jerry Schmitt gave me a discount on the room. Thank you Jerry!

This evening I was interviewed for KFSI-FM, a Christian station serving southeastern Minnesota and SW Wisconsin. The story will be airing several times throughout the day tomorrow. You can listen live, just visit KFSI.ORG.

I had a neat experience today. Riding along, I saw a snake beginning to cross the road. All of a sudden a red-tailed hawk came swooping out of nowhere, grabbed the snake in its talons and flew off, snake hanging limply. It was amazing. Perfectly executed. I guess the hawk thought he'd better get it before I did. :-)

I'm riding for ovarian cancer awareness and my late wife Susan is on my mind as I pedal onward. Please tell your friends, family and co-workers to visit the blog and review the ovarian cancer symptoms. And please post a comment. We love to hear from you!

Brad

18 comments:

Minneapolis Clan said...

Good luck Uncle Brad. We hope you have a great day and that the wind is not too strong...unless its at your back!

Love,

Annya & Amelia

John W. said...

Hi Brad,

Glad you had a good rest in Lansing. Have a great day. Talk with you later.

Love,

John & Lynae (and the gals)

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for a safe journey for you Brad.

LeeAnn (Lynae's mom)

Unknown said...

Pamula Ann says.....Ride Bradley Joe Forrest, Ride!" How is that Shapotty workin for you?!! Love you

Louie said...

I checked out the map. I suppose by now you are 30 or 40 miles into you day. Do you have any photos of the interview or peopleand stories along the way? Thanks for keeping us reminded and push on.

Anonymous said...

Brad,

Your effort and example continue to inspire. Here's hoping the sun smiles gently on you, and the wind stays at your back, throughout this year's ride.

Gary Reagen
Plymouth, MN

Anonymous said...

We're praying you on your way Brad!

Lynae

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad,

Hope you miss the rain and the winds turn to your back.....We are thiking of you!

Love Susie

Sandi said...

Brad,
Your brother John is our company PR person. I remember how very sad he was when your wife died. Your cycle trips are such a great tribute to her - and a great way to get the word out about ovarian cancer. I'm sure you are touching countless numbers of people you don't know exist - like me. We are silently (for the most part) cheering you on! Go Brad!!!

Anonymous said...

I read about Cyclequest on Lynae's facebook page. What an awesome achievement! I will definitely pass along the OC information to my friends and family!

H

Vicki said...

We are here again wishing you well, all of us. We care so we share the information in hopes that one of these days our "new" t-shirts with the information on it will be "famous". I know you are doing a great job.....Be safe, I pray that many will have a keen interest in your trek and want to help. I love you and wish I were there.....Vicki

Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress, wish the winds would die down for you. Loved how the Lord worked to have you be on KFSI. Will continue to pray for your safety and the opportunity for you to meet new people and get the word out.

Vicki said...

I am addicted. I had to come on here before I go to bed to see how, where and what you are doing or have done. Mileage? On track? I have to think you are. It is absolutely pouring here so I hope it's taking it away from your routes......Certainly we need it. It's Educational Time for you.....It's your destiny....V

Anonymous said...

This is the 1st Blog that I have ever seen and it was well worth it. What you are doing is great for 2 reasons: 1. You are doing the bike ride for love and nothing can beat that! 2. You are riding a bike and I envy you as I never learned. I am wishing you the best and also a safe journey!

Diane Newburgh said...

Such an interesting blog. I learned about it through Lynae & John. (I'm a relative of Lynae's.) I really hope the winds are better for you for the rest of your ride. (at your back would be good.) Diane Newburgh

Anonymous said...

Brad, Keep up the good work. I hope the wind gets behind you. Meg , Carson , Parker, Kim and Mel

Jeremy said...

Did the hawk have large talons? Go Brad!

Unknown said...

Glad you had a good rest in Lansing. Have a great day.

___________________
samanth
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems