Monday, May 18, 2009

Monday, May 18 CycleQuest 2009 Begins!

CycleQuest 2009 is underway! Hannibal, Missouri is the destination, some 600 miles down the road. I expect to arrive there Saturday.

I departed from Stillwater, Minnesota, about 25 miles east of the Twin Cities, at 9 a.m. It was sunny and 58. The forecast calls for a high of 80 today. It's pretty windy this morning, breeze from the south. That with the hills is making for an "exhilarating" start.

Stillwater is in Washington County, which was Minnesota's first county, established in 1858. The view along the St. Croix River is beautiful, and there are lots of rolling hills through this region.

I crossed into Wisconsin briefly around 11 a.m.

By 1:15p I'd arrived in Red Wing via route 63. I rode 48 miles during the windy morning.

At one point, I was riding along a pasture and saw a newborn calf that had just been born, not more than 30 feet from the road. I cycled on not wanting to spook the cow.

I stopped at a QuikTrip for a couple of bananas, some cheese, pizza, donuts and a Coca Cola. Look, a guy gets hungry riding into the wind! I passed out awareness bookmarks to the staff members; they were very interested in the ride and the ovarian cancer cause.

By 3 p.m. I had 65 miles logged and still felt good, despite the wind.

Here's the SPOT satellite PING I broadcast around 3p.

Latitude:44.4877
Longitude:-92.4434
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=44.4877,-92.4434&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

I ended the first day - a 95 mile day with headwinds - in Kellogg, Minnesota, south of Wabasha. I'm camping overnight at the Pioneer Campground where I also stayed during the 2004 ride. 9 hours today with about an hour or so out of the saddle.

Here's where I am camping.

Latitude:44.3192
Longitude:-91.9469
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=44.3192,-91.9469&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

And, get this, the owner of the campground - Paul Logan - does a talk show on KFSI-FM, a regional Christian radio station. He will be doing an interview with me Wednesday. Thank you, Paul!

Tomorrow morning I'll ride into Winona for a big ole breakfast at the Country Kitchen. As I recall, the "Grizzly" breakfast plate is spectacular.

I had a great run-up to departure. I stayed with my brother John, sister-in-law Lynae, and nieces Annya and Amelia over the weekend. We enjoyed a huge spaghetti feast last night for some carbo-loading.

They live in Minneapolis on the 45th latitude parallel, which is kind of neat. That means their home is midway between the Equator and the North Pole, although it sure seems closer to the Pole. Saturday morning it was 38 degrees!

As above, I'll be sending a SPOT satellite signal periodically during the ride. You can follow the ride on Google Earth by visiting the links, like the one below, that my brother John will be posting within the blog entries.

Here's my departure point as of 9 a.m.(central) today:

Latitude:45.0374
Longitude:-92.7978

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=45.0374,-92.7978&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1

It's pretty cool technology!

I'm riding for ovarian cancer awareness and Susan is on my mind as I pedal onward on another CycleQuest odyssey. Please tell your friends to visit the blog and review the ovarian cancer symptoms. Together, we might just save a life or two this week!

Thanks for the encouragement and interest in the ride. Tomorrow, I should enter Iowa. Good night!

Brad

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Bravo! You're doing a great thing and I wish you the best of luck and a great ride!

Alec Sirken

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Wingates said...

Good luck Brad! We hope the wind shifts and stays at your back for the rest of the week!

We love ya! Go CycleQuest 2009!

John, Lynae, Annya and Amelia

Gin said...

Just got your text message, Brad. You are certainly making great time.Hopefully that wind will be at your back--dreaming.
Gin

Gary R. said...

Here's hoping God keeps you safe in your travels, know
that I will remember you in my prayers.

I think this is a wonderful way of bringing attention to a
most sinister disease, and am hoping that many a life
will be spared thanks to your efforts.

Best wishes now and always

Gary R.

Natl. Ovarian Cancer Coalition said...

What a wonderful event. Best of luck!

Andrea
NOCC

Shelly/NOCC said...

We are grateful to Brad for raising awareness and making a difference. He is truly an inspiration.

Shelly Rozenberg
Chief Administrative Officer
National Ovarian Cancer Coalition, Inc.

Bonnie and Kim Reynolds said...

Good luck Brad. We'll be excited to follow you on your journey via googlemaps.

Mom said...

Hi Brad,

I'm glad you're making good time. I hope the weather stays good for your ride. We'll stay in touch.

Love you.

Mom

Chris Edmonds said...

Brad,
We've known brother John for decades and know that he...and we are all proud of you! Thanks for your efforts again. Hope the Mississippi River doesn't pose any challenges for you on your journey.
Jay & Chris Zak-Edmonds

Vicki said...

Ride on Brad ride on. Shout it out and it will save lives. May the wind be with you as our hearts are.............Be safe

John W. said...

A great first day considering a stiff headwind the whole way! Enjoy the overnight rest at the Pioneer!

Tomorrow, Iowa.

John

Bamastephy said...

May the wind be at your back and the journey victorious! Be save, and have a great ride!! I knew Susan and the DeFrank family-all great folks! What a wonderful way to honor Susan, and show support for conquering ovarian cancer. Thank you, Brad!!

Denise said...

HELLO, my brother!!! I am praying that God will protect you, and BLESS your days!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wally & I wish you the best of luck! Keep riding and raising awareness. We are thinking of you.
Liz & Wally

amyjanetsky said...

Am passing on the word, Brad! Just keep pedaling!! Safe travels.

Vicki said...

My heart is so warm and my thoughts are with you as you ride today. A great time weatherwise as it isn't too hot and hopefully the wind will be pushing you along as will the prayers and praises for your quest......Love you brother..can't wait to hear today's events when I get home from work......

Gin said...

Ride on Bradley! Remember Bob and I lived in Winona for 2 years when we were first married. Loved that town. Hopefully the wind will turn and you will be blown into the Dyersville sisters arms.
Gin

Unknown said...

Glad you are keeping this alive and full of energy and information.

--
Jenifer
Home Security Systems no CREDIT CHECK everyone is approved