Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Day 10 - Arrival in America's Hometown

3p.m. Arrival in Hannibal! We had a BUSY stretch of U.S. 36 from Macon to Hannibal. Many, many semi trucks and gravel shoulder in many spots. Just west of Monroe City, about 20 miles from Hannibal, Bob took a spill and has some road rash on an elbow and a knee. His bike's front brake was not functioning so my brother John was on scene to give him and the bike a lift to nearby Hannibal.

When I arrived in downtown Hannibal I was greeted by Mayor Roy Hark, my mother, sister and brother, Bob, and another cycling friend Bob Scott, who had motorcycled out to greet Bob and I earlier in the day.

WGEM-TV caught up with me in the final few miles of the ride and did a story that aired last night.

Lots of things going through my head so will sign-off and post something a bit later.

Thanks for everyone's support and comments. It means a lot.

Brad (and Bob)


Early this afternoon, we'll be dipping our front wheels into the Mississippi River, officially concluding this formative CycleQuest ride.

We left Macon under sunny skies. It's a beautiful day. Hannibal here we come!!

Thanks for all your support during this long distance event. We have been lifted up and carried along by your kind words and prayers. Thank you.

I'll post a final update later, most likely as I enjoy a giant coffee at Java Jive!

Brad (and Bob)

9 comments:

Liz said...

Way to go Bob and Brad! We just arrived home from our cabin so I am catching up on your journey. See you soon!
Liz and Wally

Ginny said...

Goodmorning Guys,
The last day! I'll bet you both are kinda sad about that. Once you get used to being out on the road it is hard to stop.I will be with you in spirit at the finish. Hugs and kisses to you both for a job well done. Susan would be beaming with pride!!
Love Gin

GoldThread said...

Breathe the freshness of the air knowing that the MANY seeds you have sown across the miles will grow into fields of blossoms representing the many lives you've touched.

Keep the sun on your face!
Lesa
: )

DDF said...

Hot Diggity Dog! Take them shoes off, put a piece of straw in your mouth, sit down next to the river and , cool your feet in the water. Rest and take a moment to reflect on the tremendous accomplishment you have completed on your journey. Wow, what power three men,(John deserves recognition for all of his hard work too) a couple of bikes and gear, a planned journey for a special cause can make on so many lives. Linda & I salute the team on a job very well done!

Unknown said...

Brad and Bob,

Sorry I'm so late in offering you my support on this amazing ride you're doing. Your office mate didn't know there was a blog until a couple of days ago and I had heck finding out your web address! On behalf of all women everywhere..."I can no other answer make but thanks, and thanks, and ever thanks..."

Your admirer,
Donna

GoldThread said...

Can NOT even concentrate on my work for thinking about the celebration and tears of joy for a journey complete!

Anxiously awaiting the next post...

amyjanetsky said...

We are all very proud of you both! The kids have been asking about you and we've been reading the blogs everyday. I was glad to hear you both made is safe and sound (maybe with a few scrapes), but none the less safe! Congratulations and THANK YOU for your courageous efforts! We'll celebrate when you get back in town sometime soon!

Vicki said...

I sitting here reflecting on what a week + it's been. How we've been glued to this screen as we were 2 yrs ago, just waiting and hanging on every word. Feeling your pains, feeling your accomplishments. Like reading a book you can't put down. Wow. What have you begun???? Can't wait to be a bigger part of it now that you have opened the door. I love you both, and raise my cup of Java to you and take my hat off to you.

Congratulations to you all.........Susan is smiling down upon you...........

Vicki

Vicki said...

Yes we are so thankful God was watching out for Bob. God Bless you Bob. I am so thankful you are OK with only the "painful" roadrash. Considering the last few hundred miles, this was a better area than the Jimmy Hoffa area!!! Writing a book are you?

NEVER ENOUGH THANKS COULD BE GIVEN TO YOU BOTH FOR YOUR RIDE AND JOHN FOR YOUR NORTHERN OFFICE WORK. Let's hope we saved someone along the way.

Love and hugs
Vicki