Thursday, July 19, 2007

Day 5 - Kansas Headwinds, but Halfway to Hannibal!

Late news....I did a phone interview tonight with Bev Darr, a reporter for the Hannibal Courier-Post newspaper. The paper will run a story tomorrow about CycleQuest. Check it out at Hannibal.net. Thanks to Bev and Mary Lou Montgomery, the managing editor!

Okay, the day: The CycleQuest team departed Atwood, Kansas at 6:30 a.m. under overcast skies. It rained overnight. The temperature was in the low 70s at departure time, and has risen to 78 at mid-day. Much better than the 100+ heat of yesterday.

Bob and I had breakfast mid-morning in Oberlin, and...lunched in Norton.

All I can say is someone should have warned the Pizza Hut buffet manager that we were coming. Bob completed three grueling trips to the warming table, and I did likewise. Look, we're sorry! We're very, very sorry! Perhaps tomorrow will be a more profitable day for the "hut!"

Thank you! :-)

We faced a strong 20 mph headwind all day, yet managed a 96 mile day with fully loaded bikes. To give you an idea of how windy it is, typically we'll hit 40 mph on a good downhill. But today, my maximum speed was 23.5 mph, according to my cyclometer.

It's more humid and green as we roll east. Whoever said Kansas is flat hasn't ridden here!

This afternoon, I was riding along - into the wind - and I noticed a bike chain lying at the side of the road. Then, I look up to see Bob ahead, spinning wildly; his chain had broken! Thankfully, we'd brought a chain tool along and quickly did an emergency repair by removing a link.

As we worked on the chain, covered in grease, with the wind buffeting us, we looked at each other and Bob said, "At least there are no biting flies!"

The good news is that we're more than HALFWAY TO HANNIBAL! Our mileage at the end of day five is 476.69 miles. We're spending the night in Phillipsburg at the New Cottonwood Inn.

We really appreciate all the comments, encouragement, and support. One was posted this morning by Judy Fitzgerald of the Tri-State Ovarian Cancer Alliance in Cumberland, Maryland. Thanks Judy!

This afternoon, Myrna Klitzke of the Minneapolis-St. Paul chapter of the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition (NOCC) posted a nice message (see comments). Thank you Myrna for your kind words, and we're sorry to hear of the death of your sister. Too many deaths.

Also, some supportive words from the publisher of the Hannibal newspaper and the executive director of the Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum. See you all in Hannibal!

Hmmm, we've noticed that Phillipsburg has a Pizza Hut. Catch ya later!

Brad (and Bob)


Media Advisory:To schedule an interview and photo opportunity with Brad, please contact John Wingate at 612-782-8551 or via email at john(at)wingategroup.com.

19 comments:

Judy Fitz said...

Good Luck Brad!! What you are doing is a good thing. So sorry about your wife. My daughter was diagnosed at age 24 (not 27 with a good prognosis). My friends and I started an education awareness group in Western Maryland, we also donate to research.
Kansas seems like it goes on forever and ever. Next time you want to cyle try the C&O Canal Towpath it now runs from Pittsburgh to DC. Maybe we could try doing a fundraiser by cycling the towpath.
Keep up the good work!
Judy Fitzgerald
Tri-State Ovarian Cancer Alliance
Cumberland, Maryland

Ginny said...

Good Morning Guys,
Pedal on! I think it is great that you are reaching so many people with your message. I am spreading the word here at work and to my extended family. They are all following your progress. Here is wishing you a great ride with the wind at your back.
Love, Gin

fadenr said...

Dear Brad and Bob,

Thank you for your good work! I am writing from the Mark Twain Museum in Hannibal, MO. Your story came up on my Goole Alerts this morning. I am not sure if you know exactly when you are getting here, but we would certainly like to welcome you - maybe we can offer a meal and I'll look into a place for you to stay. I'll keep watching your progress. Looking forward to seeing you in town! Regina Faden, Director, Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum. Best wishes for a safe trip!

John said...

Brad & Bob,

It's so great to see so many people following CycleQuest and sending best wishes!

Here's hoping the wind is at your back all the way to Hannibal!

John, Lynae, Annya & Amelia

Jack Whitaker said...

Guys,

Great idea. Please contact newsroom@courierpost.com and let us know your projected schedule. We'd like to cover your arrival in Hannibal.

Best wishes for a safe trip.

Jack Whitaker
Publisher
Hannibal Courier-Post
Hannibal, Missouri

Lisa Hegarty said...

Hi Brad and Bob!
Your blog looks great, and it's wonderful that you guys are doing so much good in memory of Susan, and in support of all women faced with similar challenges. Thank you!
Looking forward to watching you guys ride for Banner Children's to help the kids!
Stay safe.....
Lisa Hegarty

Unknown said...

Hey Brad and Bob,

It's an amaing thing that you both are doing to raise awareness for the cause. Best wishes to you both on your journey, and may the weather be kind to you during this time.

Good Luck!
Scott C.

Carrie Corsi said...

Brad & Bob,

Following your progress and am so inspired by your journey! Good luck the rest of the trip!

Sincerely,

Carrie Corsi

myrna said...

Dear Brad and Bob,
I wish my sister in NW Arkansas, could have lived to hear about this. She died last August, feeling forgotten in the larger world of diseases. I know your ride for awareness would have made her very happy.

You are pro cyclists and Minneapolis is both a good place for cyclists, and completely capable of providing extreme weather on both ends of the mercury. So if you ever feel like repeating this in another part of the country, it is entirely possible that we can give you some pretty uncomfortable times.

It would be a great pleasure to meet you both.

Brad, my sister is with your wife, cheering both of you and blowing at your backs.

Myrna Klitzke
NOCC Twin Cities

Vicki said...

Ha, must have been a pizza day cause I had pizza the bakery guy made fresh for us in produce. UMMMM. Hoorah we are more than half way.......Thanks John for all the media contacts you have reached. It's a good group. Guys, rest well and I am thanking God for the more "pleasant" weather. Tradeoff I guess, less heat more wind. HUMMMM lets see now how many of us have said wind to your back?????

Great success........Love you guys

Duncan32 said...

Brad:

Keep up the good work, Brad. We read your daily postings every day.

Marshall

Karen said...

Hi Boys! Sounds like some grueling days on the bike. Grueling but fun, I am sure. Wish I was there drafting behind you both :) Just think how strong you will be coming back home! Keep up the good work on getting the word out on cancer. Rest assured Susan is there checking in on you both.. most likely giggling...

I will say a little prayer for no flies, lots of downhills and of course an exceptional tail wind tomorrow! Ride on..

Karen

GoldThread said...

Brad, I just read the interview you gave with Bev Darr posted on Hannibal.com. : ) How nice...it brought a tear to my eye.

I'm MOST certain your quest is making a difference for many more than one person, one life, one family.

You couldn't have a better angel on your shoulder!

Happy riding tomorrow and may the winds be with you.

Lesa

Ginny said...

Half way to Hannibal,that has to be music to your ears.I love this blog spot! I am having fun following you across the plains and watching your message being spread wider and wider every day.I will check out the piece in the Hannibal paper. Have fun and ride strong! I miss you both!
Love Gin

John Wingate said...

Go B & B! We have been cycling everyday in support! :-)

Annya and Amelia

Jack said...

B&B,

You are my heroes. I have been watching the Tour on TV but find your blog much more interesting. Battling the wind in KS is no small feat; I would take "Answer To The Challenge" over the KS wind. I will be monitoring your progress each day and following along on the map.

Jack & Ellen

nid said...

I wish you both have a good trips. Please keep up your work!!

Best regards
Nid (Chiang rai Thailand)

Anonymous said...

I wish not acquiesce in on it. I think polite post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to read the sound story.

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.