Thursday, July 19, 2012

High Heat & Adversity


High noon and I'm 48 miles up the highway, about halfway to Payson, AZ, the day one destination.

Unfortunately circumstances are not going our way today. The extreme heat, coupled with an overweight load, has caused some serious cramping in my legs. I ride many thousands of miles a year and to face this is extraordinary.

I'm dehydrated too even after drinking 6 of my 7 liters of water in the first half of the trip today. The ascent is so steep with this load, I was only able to go 4 miles an hour so I wasn't getting any cooling from any breeze, with too little water to get to Payson.

I'm under an overpass right now and this is about the only shade in the high desert enroute to Payson.

Given the circumstances, extreme heat, my cramping and some heat exhaustion, low on water, overweight bike, I've decided to return and reassess.

It's 20 miles to the nearest town, in the hottest part of the day, so a friend is going to pick me up and give me a lift back home.

Will keep you posted.

5 comments:

John Wingate said...

Brad, You've made the right decision given these extraordinary circumstances in the hottest summer in 75 years. Rehydrate and rest and we'll talk later, once you're back home. John

Unknown said...

It's dangerous to be in this heat and you are out there where it's even hotter. Best decision especially since you are almost out of water and you are about half way through the day. With this being the worst heat maybe a fall ride would be in order...

Love you Brother. Thanks for not taking any chances.

fwolfe2 said...

Dang, Brad. I was worried about you being on the road in these conditions, but glad you made the decision you did. I think maybe Vicki has the right idea about doing it in the fall.

Take care and please keep in touch.

Unknown said...

They really can't say for sure as if so they'd have predicted this heat but....that said....They said that this heat could continue until October. The fact that you are alone at this attempt and the extreme heat I think there should be either a rider/assist or a more ideal time for the ride. Either go further north (if it's any cooler) and start or postpone. Susan would understand :).

Anonymous said...

Brad - A Prescott start might be a good launch considering the heat. Let's try to connect man...good choice yesterday nonetheless. Through adversity one finds themselves. Jeremy