Thursday, July 19, 2012

Let's Roll!!!


Thursday, July 19

CycleQuest 2012 is underway! I left my home in Tempe, AZ at 5:30a. It's a beautiful morning and 83 degrees. It really helped to take yesterday as a final prep day. Everything is just right on the bike and I'm well rested. I awoke shortly after 4a and feel good.

I'm riding the Surly 'Long Haul Trucker,' a bike that is perfect for a long tour like this.

I'll be riding more than 1,400 miles between now and early August to raise awareness of the subtle symptoms of ovarian cancer which claimed the life of my dear wife Susan in 2005. She was an amazing person who would love to be riding this ride with me. And she is - in my heart.

By the end of the day I will be in Payson in northern Gila County. Its location is almost exactly the geographic center of Arizona. Thus, it is often called "The Heart of Arizona". The Payson Rodeo, held since 1884, is considered the world's oldest continuous event of its kind.

This is Zane Grey country, too. In 1918 the famous western author made his first trip to the Payson area. He would come back with regularity through 1929, and purchase two plots of land near Tonto Creek. Grey wrote numerous books about the area and also filmed some movies, such as To the Last Man, in the Payson area in the 1920s.

During the 1930s an effort began to try to get Payson a better road to connect it to the outside world. At that time Payson was very isolated with a Phoenix to Payson trip taking four to five hours by motorcar. Throughout the 1950s work on a paved road from Phoenix to Payson progressed and the paving was completed in 1959. A few years ago this highway, State Route 87, the "Beeline Highway," was expanded to four lanes. And, for that, I thank them. Still, it will take me a good chunk of the day to get to Payson. No motorcar for the 10,000 feet of climbing over 90+ miles today.

Please share the blog with family and friends to widen the circle of compassion. Together, we can raise awareness about the 'silent' disease of ovarian cancer.

Oh, I again have my satellite beacon with me. When I activate the ROVER beacon it shows my location. We'll be sharing these beacon links regularly. Click the link below to see where I was shortly after departure. http://fms.ws/8hlWN/33.43053N/111.93674W

More later...

Brad

3 comments:

John Wingate said...

God speed Brad! We'll be praying you along the way.

John Wingate said...

Brad, Be well, you have prayers and well wishes behind you.

Do it!

John, Lynae, Annya & Amelia

Vicki said...

It's my second checking!! Hoping all is going as planned!!